Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

messy


Sometimes I wonder how much I miss because I'm not willing to get messy or be uncomfortable.
I am a clean person, or like to think I am. I like washing my hands, brushing my teeth; REALLY enjoy a frequent shower. But often I think fun and significant things in life happen when we are willing to get down and dirty, either physically or metaphorically. I have many, many awesome memories from being in villages overseas and having so much fun playing soccer in 130 degree weather, or walking around and meeting people in the pouring rain. Even being home and serving hot chocolate to random strangers in freezing cold weather was extremely uncomfortable for me, but great conversation always came of it. In a metaphorical sense, prodding a little more in talking to friends when they don't seem to be doing well, or intentionally journeying with people through hard seasons of life. Entering into the beautiful mess of our world, of our own hearts.
I want to be more willing to do stuff without contemplating how messy, or hurt, I could get in the process.

This is a silly example, but a few minutes ago I came downstairs to check my email, look up a few blogs, etc. Abby, the dog, followed me and seemed very perturbed that I was not in a convenient position to constantly pet her. After much wining and sad-eye contact, I finally patted my bed and she enthusiastically accepted my invitation. Even though I just washed my sheets, and even though she is in heat (don't worry, diaper is on!), and even though I'm wearing a black dress and her white hair will be ALL over me, I feel good about my decision. She was feeling ignored and unloved (so I think) and I just needed to let her lay next to me. As insignificant as this may seem, it was a great reminder.

Thanks Abby.


No comments: