Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In the life of a nanny:


I set my alarm to wake up 10 mins before I actually need to get up, just to get the process going. I push myself out of bed (and into my slipper boots) with just enough time to shower (only if I didn't do it the night before), create a 5 minute hair-do, and slip on my yoga pants/ t-shirt/ sweater, because thankfully my job does not require me to look my best. Make-up usually doesn't even make it onto my face until around 10 0r 11 am.

If I'm feeling inspired, or extremely tired, I will brew a small cup of coffee for the road. This doesn't normally happen, because thankfully I will have plenty of time to make a pot at work. I will also have time to eat breakfast when I get there, maybe check my facebook, write a blog, read a book, call a friend...

I know you must be thinking I've got it made. And let's face it, I pretty much do! There is no running around involved, unless I want to go somewhere. No practices or homework or messy play times. Just lots of bottles and a few much needed naps; keeping up with the pacifiers and making sure the house is tidy.

Ok, sometimes there is screaming, puking, diaper rashes, explosive poo, teething pains, drool, more screaming, odd smells, leaky diapers, the occasional short nap, and even more screaming.

But everything considered, I have a dream job. I so enjoy coming into a home and a family, keeping a car seat base in my backseat, and experiencing the pure joy of when Lucy smiles and laughs and loves life.

I am blessed.


Because of my belief, I sometimes struggle with ease and peace in my life. I live with the constant conviction and heaviness that most other places in my world are not peaceful; people are hurting, help is needed, hope is scarce, desperation is real.
I am a doer. It's hard for me to just be, to trust that prayer in and of itself is a powerful tool. I long to be there, physically present in their pain, and use my hands to help them heal. Use my faith to give them strength.
But I am here. And there is purpose.

"the poor you may have in your own family; find them. love them."

"love begins at home..."

"be faithful in the small things, because it is in them that your strength lies."

Thank you, dear Mother Teresa. Love is always brought to a closer and greater reality in her words. All that I do, if done in love, is kingdom work.


"May today there be peace within.
May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and in others.
May you use the gifts you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content with yourself, just the way you are,

Let this knowledge settle into your bones
& allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise, and love.
It is there for each and every one of us."


No comments: