Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Helen's story


Dr. Helen Roseveare. This woman amazes me. Maybe those shouldn't be the words used, but really, people like this captivate me and encourage me and challenge me beyond explanation. I want you to listen to her story.
What a precious woman. An inspiration. I will hopefully be getting at least one of her books soon-- I feel like there is so much I can learn from her. Her story is filled with many things: devotion to her Jesus, selfless love for people, grief, suffering, sacrifice. In her words, "the other side of the word sacrifice is privilege." She considered it such a privilege to be trusted with His work on earth, no matter what that cost her. It seems like Christians like her are few and far between these days.

She mentions this hymn in the interview, so naturally I had to know what the whole thing says. It's quite lovely. And scary words to say to Him, if you truly mean them. I want to mean them with everything in me. Still, fear seems to lurk in my heart. But as I've heard many times in the last couple months...
"If you're afraid, then do it afraid. It doesn't matter, just do something."
:) God is with us.


Stir Me

Stir me, O stir me, Lord, I care not how,
But stir my heart in passion for the world!
Stir me to give, to go, but most to pray;
Stir, till the blood-red banner be unfurled
Over lands that still in heathen darkness lie,
Over deserts where no cross is lifted high.

Stir me, O stir me, Lord, till all my heart
Is filled with strong compassion for these souls;
Till thy compelling Word drives me to pray;
Till thy constraining Love reach to the poles
Far north and south, in burning, deep desire,
Till east and west are caught in love’s great fire.

Stir me, O stir me, Lord, Thy heart was stirred
By love’s intensest fire, till Thou didst give
Thine only Son, Thy best beloved ONE
Even to the dreadful cross, that I might live.
Stir me to give myself back to Thee
That Thou canst give Thyself again through me.

Stir me, O stir me, Lord, for I can see
Thy glorious triumph-day begin to break!
The dawn already gilds the eastern sky:
Church of Christ, arise!
Awake! Awake!
O stir us, Lord, as heralds of that day,
For night is past, our King is on His way!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 tim 2:6+7 you have a Spirit of Power,Love, and Peace!