Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

? life ?


"All of our stories are like burning bushes that are never consumed, never snuffed out, and are always revealing something glorious about God."
--Kimberly Smith


Think about this:
What is life made of? What is it all about?
I say, life is made up of experiences, stories-- happenings. Those stories, experiences, and happenings are mostly made up of people, relationships. So... life basically comes down to relationships. Who do we know? Who knows us?
I think about my stories and adventures so far & am warmly reminded of the many who have traveled with me, grown up beside me, befriended and nurtured me. Wow, what a blessing. So, so, so many wonderful relationships in my life. And out of those beautiful friendships, life has happened. Road trips have been taken. Many phone calls and skype sessions made, which have often been a source of prayer and encouragement about life decisions. Coffee dates, shopping trips, dinners, beach days... a huge portion of my life has been spent doing simple, day-to-day things with people that I love.
So why do I spend so much time and effort thinking of crazy BIG things all the time?

I do not think we should avoid dreaming big, praying big, hoping big. This is a major subject I feel like God is trying to draw out of me and develop-- how to not only trust Him for much, but truly believe and live in the truth that I was made for big things. I was created to change the world. I just think my views of changing the world are often much different than His.
Changing the world happens with one person. If you've helped change and influence one life for the better, you've done it!
I obviously want to do much more than that, and look forward to it, but just as much as He calls me out to the big & great, He also reminds me of the small & practical. It's about both. Both dreaming & doing now. Both hoping for the future & living in today. Both the million and the one.

A story about a man named Dominique challenged me so much. Brennan Manning wrote about him and said, "His simple witness lay in accepting others as they were without questions and allowing them to make themselves at home in his heart... he never felt he had to do something great for God." And Dominique wrote in his journal:
“...But the usefulness of my life is His concern, not mine. It would be indecent of me to worry about that.”

Realization: allowing people into your life-- into your heart-- is a big thing. Accepting and loving people for who they are is a big thing. Choosing everyday to not think only of yourself is a big thing. Giving out of what you've been given is a big thing. Discipling others is a big thing. Learning about your gifts and spending yourself in service is a big thing.
All of these life principles that are foundations of our faith, of the Gospel, are HUUUUGE! People just don't live like that very often. Maybe on a good day. But for us to let these things be written on our hearts and lived through our lives is what, I believe, makes a world-changer, a God-pleaser, and a true lover.


Keep it simple: life is about loving God & loving people. And our stories will be a beautiful weaving of experiences and happenings between the two.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

^"Accepting and loving people for who they are is a big thing. Choosing everyday to not think only of yourself is a big thing. Giving out of what you've been given is a big thing. Discipling others is a big thing. Learning about your gifts and spending yourself in service is a big thing."^
I feel like my life is teaching and challenging others with this truth along with picking up that Cross, it is heavy but He makes it light. You know what i mean?