Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Turn your eyes.

When I see Him I shall be made like Him. Soon and very soon.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus..."

Daily I am faced with inadequacy. My love towards others falls short, my speech is less than encouraging, my grace is limited, my time & resources aren't used responsibly. How easy it is to get lost in self-accusation and condemnation! To think of how He loves us, how His grace is abounding, His eyes locked on each of us with such caring intent, His hands holding our world, His Spirit active in the innermost spaces of our lives. I am amazed. And I believe it is this amazement that we need to consistently have to live a life of freedom and growth. This is Truth: He is perfection and we are not, but we are to pursue Him, and in pursuing perfection, become more like Him. Will we reach our goal? Not on this side of heaven, I don't think. But it is in the pursuit of holiness that we become holy, whether we know it or not. In humility and discipline and love we must fix our eyes on Jesus, live a life worthy of our calling, and let Him have His way in us.

Though we have not seen Him, our hearts can know Him well. And someday soon, we'll be with the One we love.

“Like the eye which sees everything in front of it and never sees itself, faith is occupied with the Object upon which it rests and pays no attention to itself at all. While we are looking at God, we do not see ourselves-- blessed riddance. The man who has struggled to purify himself and has had nothing but repeated failures will experience real relief when he stops tinkering with his soul & looks away to the perfect One.”


1 comment:

Travis Troyer said...

I love what you said, "as we are pursuing perfection we are becoming more like him." When we take our eyes off ourselves and onto Christ our dreams and desires become God focused instead of self-focused. Keep loving Jesus and challenging us to live God centered lives!