Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Be not // Yet be


Malleable:
capable of being extended or shaped by hammering or by pressure; adaptable; able to be pressed permanently out of shape without breaking or cracking; easily influenced


I think most of us would agree that there are two opposing sides of morality in this world. A lot of things float around in the middle, where we aren't certain if they can be labeled as right or wrong, but I believe most of us know the lines. We not only know them; we often jump up and over and in between them.
It's the purposeful tension of life: who do you want to be? and do you know what it will take to get there?
There's a flip side that we cannot forget about. Our guidelines do not end at "be not conformed." They then pick up at "yet be renewed."
It would almost be easier to try not to conform to anything (though I think that's impossible considering our world and our nature as people) rather than finish the sentence and move towards life change. Towards purpose.

I don't like to use the word "required" but I think it is legit here. It is required of us to intentionally turn from one behavior to another, from one attitude to another, from one belief to another, if we have a higher vision or goal. Even in practical ways. If I want to save money I must choose not to spend it. If I want a cuter butt, I have to start taking the stairs. If I want to be Jesus to people, I must deny myself, spend my time, let Him fill my heart, focus my thoughts... in other not-so-happy words, I need to understand that it's not about me.

I want to be malleable in this sense. To be shaped from one person into another. To not crack under this transformative pressure. To keep up the pace even when I've messed up.

Our message on Sunday night was about our gifts and how in using our gifts, the transformation process is brought full circle. There are personal ways we can better ourselves, or however you want to say it. But truly, in giving yourself for others, you gain so much more.


You provide the fire & I'll provide the sacrifice.
You provide the Spirit & I will open up inside.
Fill me up, God.


No comments: