Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

Hidden wonders.


How was your Christmas?! Mine was great, thanks. I have my griefs, but I will spare you from those. They have been given over to the One who bears my burdens daily. Overall, I was so delighted to see the familiar, and changing, faces of the ones I love most. There was a lot of laughter, which I am very grateful for. Too many presents. I'm still trying to find the balance of how I can better teach my future children about Christmas. As I watched the little ones eagerly move from one gift to the next, amidst my happiness for them, I still had that pang of guilt and conviction that will stay with my always because I have seen too much and therefore am responsible for my knowledge. If you are confused, just read my earlier blogs, and you will quickly learn of how the Lord has been dealing with me!

I did receive a most enlightening gift from my dad-- the documentary, The Star of Bethlehem. It follows the journey of a Christian lawyer in his search of proof that the Star was a real phenomenon, and not just a made-up character in the story of Christ's birth. It is truly amazing! And much too detailed to explain here. You can borrow it!
I was thinking a lot about that movie & all that God has done to make Himself and His promises known to us. We attended an amazing church yesterday. The pastor wasn't there; the guest speaker was a Dr. Somebody who had graduated from Harvard and spends a lot of his time traveling and speaking around the world. I knew it was going to be good. He spoke about the Gift of a Redeemed Life. And to my enjoyment, went into explaining all the historical facts of the birth of Jesus, even the Star. It was just as fresh and exciting hearing it over again-- the miraculous and supernatural coming of God Incarnate. He was a very learned man, obviously from Harvard, but He spoke with the conviction and sensitivity of the Spirit. He reveled how we, as believers, are much like Mary. When we choose to answer the voice of God and accept His will for us, the Holy Spirit births a new spirit within us, and we too experience a miraculous conception of Jesus Christ. How wonderful! And he reminded us that the three magi from the East were Gentiles-- they were not of God's chosen and called-out people, but yet they were the ones who told the king and people of Jerusalem that the Savior had been born. This could be understood as a foreshadowing of the salvation of ALL people, every nation! And also that these men had some kind of intervention; possibly they realized that their religion and beliefs were not getting them anywhere, and that this wonder in the stars might lead them to real and true God.
Do you know about the gifts that they brought? This is one of my favorite parts. The gifts were that of gold, which is what you offer a king; frankincense, which you give to a priest or a prophet of God; and myrrh, which is what you bring to someone who is about to die.
How did they know to bring such things? Were the magi aware of what was really happening? It just intrigues me so!! I hope we get to interview people in heaven. I want to know about all of this!
Back in the church service, the speaker ended it so beautifully. Do we come and adore the Savior with these same gifts? Gold: a purified life, set apart for the use and desires of the King. Frankincense: a prayerful life, offering up the sweet smelling incense of intercession and longing. Myrrh: a crucified life, no longer living for self, but dedicated to God and dead to sin.

And I cried while singing, "O come let us adore Him, for He alone is worthy, we give You all the glory..."

I received a Facebook message from a YWAM director in New Haven, CT. I believe he is a prophet to this generation. If you ever meet him or hear him speak, you will know.
This is the message, A Christmas Prayer for the End of this Decade.

"Jesus, Oh Long expected One, the Joy of the whole earth, we pause here near the close of advent, and the end of a decade, to consider the wonders of your comings in the history of our lives. Struck breathless by your scandalous grace we thank you for choosing a stable for your first home, to give us hope that there would come a day that you would be born into the far fouler recesses of our own barren hearts. Thank you Jesus, for that day has come!
Oh Inescapable One, Incarnation of the Father's love, thank you for the hope of your future coming in glory, when every tear will be dried from the eyes of Your friends, and more importantly, finally from your own. But till then, Jesus, we're stuck between the dreaming at the stable and the coming true of Your second coming. So we're most thankful that you're the Ever-coming Christ! You relentlessly come all the time in our lives; in the sacrament of the present moment you live and breathe. Forgive us for not seeing you there in the years gone by. Forgive us for our selfish living. May we perceive that there is a divinely initiated banquet going on at the heart of ordinary life, and that around that table is the poor, broken and needy of the world.

In this coming New Year, and decade, we want to be where you are Jesus, more than anything. Somehow we want to provide for you a more comfortable place to lay your head, and your heart. We're not sure how to do this, but this is our quest. In Your most beautiful name we pray." AMEN


Though that quest is never-ending, I hope and pray that you would begin. For in HIM lie all the treasures of hidden knowledge and wisdom. I do love treasure hunts, don't you?!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Sweet girl, you would fit in great at my church. I love you.