Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why did I get married?


I just watched that movie. It was good, besides the fact that most of those people are slap crazy. But it had a great message. Except when they were laughing about a guy having an affair. I didn't think that was humorous. Anyway, there was a principle in this movie that caught my attention. It's called the 80/20 principle. Janet Jackson (yes, she is in the movie) said that you can only get 80% of what you need in a marriage. (I'm not sure where the other 20% comes from... God, maybe?) And most people aren't content with their 80, so when the 20% comes along (aka, hoe bag) most people will leave their 80 for the 20, and then all they are left with is the 20.
So this concept got me thinking...
When it comes to our salvation, don't we all sometimes question why we got married? I honestly haven't recently, but I can remember in high school and in my naive, "these people are the only people in the world! I have to impress them!" mindset, I can remember asking that question several times. Is this really worth it? Do I even know God? Why does everything have to be so hard?!
... you get my drift.
So really when it comes down to it, we as Christians have these "80/20" scenarios all the time. Just like many married people probably do. I'm not married, I wouldn't know. But I AM in a committed relationship with Jesus Christ and I can tell when I'm focusing on the 20's more. Or should I say "0's" and "100" since God is completely all we will ever need.

I do need to start asking myself often: what are my zeros? What are the things that, when waved in front of me, I usually begin to question everything I'm living for? How can I keep myself focused on my 100- the Person who was, is, and will ever be all that I want, desire, and need?

I love how David was so honest with his Lord. He frequently prayed, "Search me, Oh God!" and "May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to you, Lord!" Do we have the guts to pray those honest prayers? Because that means that we would have to start being held responsible for what we say, what we think about, what we do, where we are in our relationship with Him.

This question has been on my heart a lot lately. I see so much potential in so many lives, but it's like they are just staying in the same place in their relationship with God, not wanting to go higher. Not wanting to go anywhere.
And I think to myself, if you only knew... if I only knew... who He really is. If we, like the old prophets and crazy disciples, could see just a snippet of His glory, we would give Him EVERYTHING. Our lives, our safety, our plans, our families, our hearts, our wills, our money, our things. It would be worthless in the face of Him who is Worthy. Why can't we see that?! Why do we get so easily distracted?!
WHY DID YOU GET MARRIED?

I got married & entered into this covenant, this promise, this life with Him, because of what He did for me thousands of years ago. I decided to take Him at His Word when He said that I could be forgiven and that I could live a true life, a full life. I chose Him because He has always chosen me. His promises seem too good to be true, but I've seen too much to turn back. I am my Beloved's and He is mine. It's not about me anymore, but somehow He still out-gives me. He is so great.

That's why I got married.
What about you??
I love the picture of marriage. Sex God and Going All the Way are great books on this subject! Like how at the altar on our wedding day, we are giving ourselves away, sacrificing our need of independence, and choosing selflessness for the other person. Jesus did the same thing for us. Or like when God says that two shall become one, it's the same thing that happens when our spirits join with His Spirit and we are one in the same. It breaks my heart when marriage is torn to shreds in our world today. There is such Truth and beauty and wonder in it all. And we are the vessels to prove that to the world. As a girl who is very much married to God and not to a man (yet) I can be a living example of this spiritual union, while all you awesome married people reveal the magnificence of God's love through the love for each other! Isn't He just amazing?!? I am in-love with Love Himself! And very happily married :) I hope you, out of the depths of your heart, could say the same.




"But then, I will win her back once again...
when that day comes, says the Lord,
you will call me 'My Husband'
instead of 'My Slave-Master.'
...I will make you my wife forever,
showing you righteousness and justice,
unfailing love and compassion."
Hosea 2:14, 16, 19

1 comment:

Micha said...

Candice..I love this. Thank you for reminding me of my commitment to a marriage with Jesus. I see the Lord is enlarging your heart for more of Himself and those He loves. I enjoy reading your journey with your Husband, Jesus. :O)