Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

It is for freedom...

Today as we all focus on the many lives that were taken in exchange for our freedom, my heart is drawn to a different kind of freedom. Yes, I am thankful that we are not controlled by our government (at least for the most part). Pretty much all they want is our money, and in turn we as Americans get to live the life of free people. It really is a wonderful thing, and I am very thankful for it. Though much pride, selfishness, and corruption have motivated the development of this country, there is also much good as well. It's just my nature to tend to focus on the negatives, so I will spare you the drawn-out injustices that we as the US participate in. I want to change the focus to Jesus, for He is the only One we should ultimately thank for the true freedom we have today.

I just watched a video about Love146 an organization that fights the injustices of human sex traficking, especially trafficking of children. I watched, in tears, the co-founder tell the story of how God called them specifically to this injustice. There are so many, thousands and thousands, of people, children, who have no freedom. No rights. Not even names. I cannot even put into words how angry, upset, and disgusted this makes me feel... and how helpless it seems we are compared to such a huge world-wide industry. How on earth could we even put a dent in the evil that has engulfed our world?

Well, a wise woman once said that we can only do small things with great Love. And I stand behind that completely. Instead of being overwelmed with all the crime and injustice, lets just ask Him what passion He has knitted within us. For me, its kids. For you, maybe it's AIDS work or poverty or the enviornment. He has placed so many desires within us, GOOD desires, which we can see fulfilled if we would just take the time to search our hearts and His.

I love this from Galations 5- "For you have been called to freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in LOVE. For the whole law can be summed up in this one command, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

My mind always gets lost in the concept of love. Real love. It's such a powerful thing that I underestimate constantly. My prayer will always be that God would show me how to love. Our views of love are so skewed and perverted. As Jesus said, true love is laying your life down for others. I take that as more than just dying. Actually, He probably means living. Living in a way that takes all the focus off of you and returns it to the glory to God; in a way that causes you to literally spend your energy and time loving Him and loving people. I understand that there is a balance in all things, but I feel like I don't do that enough. I feel like there is more praying, more working, more hugging, more investing, more Love to be done in my life. There always will be!

Let us not use our freedom for ourselves. I want to be a servant to all. I want to see captives freed and loved for once in their lives. There is so much to be done, but there is so little for each one of us to do. We are a team, people! Let's start to function like one! Love is in the little things, allowing the Greatest Love of All to have free reign in our bodies. The Church has the potential to be the most magnificient thing in this world. A Bride, a Lover, one that the gates of Hell will never overcome. We're not quite there yet, but God-willing and us-yielding, we can see His Church perform great miracles and accomplish her purpose! That gets me excited!! And it challenges me to live in that truth. We CAN do all things through Christ.


So enjoy the freedom that you experience today! And remember that your world is not THE world. We have a mission while we are here-- LOVE!!!!

No comments: