Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Weeks 2 & 3:

Hello all! I apologize for the delayed update. Between 80-ish other people around the base, homework, class time, work duties, and a little bit of fun here and there, I have neglected my blog. So sorry!

Our first week of teaching (last week) was on Worldview. This week challenged me in so many ways. We took notes in a chart-form that showed how several different belief systems (Secular Humanism, Biblical Theology, New Age, Liberal Theology) line up under topics like psychology, biology, economics, etc., forming each worldview. Learning about the basics of these beliefs was very interesting and sometimes convicting when you realize you've been veering away from the biblical worldview in different areas of life and how you perceive what's right and wrong. It's pretty hard to write about... ask me when I get back!

Week 3: Spirituality of Justice. Our speaker fell through for this week, but it was just as great, I think! We had one day of teaching; the basics being that we are to administer justice in both the spiritual and physical realms. A great analogy of this is like hugging the world with both the arm of evangelism (spiritual) AND the arm of social action (physical). That sounds cheesy, but it helped me understand. :)
My favorite part was going through the Old Testament and seeing God's heart for justice, and following it through to the teachings of Jesus and how He lived His life for others. Overall, we're called to be "Both/ And" Christians: people who serve not only the immediate physical needs, but also bring the love and mercy and grace of the Father to their souls as well.

The book we're reading is called Quest for Hope in the Slum Community. It's sooooooo intense. Pretty much like a missions encyclopedia. So when I can sit and process my thoughts about it, I'll tell you more. (I feel like this entry is a let-down!)

Another thing I want to tell you about is our Kingdom Night outreaches. Every Friday night a huge group of us goes to downtown Denver just to be available to talk to people, pray for people, give out free hot chocolate (or whatever else we can find!) and see what the Lord wants to do. It's been AMAZING. Quick stories: the other night, a few people from our group stayed behind to pray for this man. He was actually demon-possessed (I know thats freaky, but it happens) and they prayed for him and saw him set free. He also had problems with his knee, and while my friend Cat was laying hands on him, she felt it literally pop back into place!
I will share more later, I'm going to hang out with some friends who are in town. I'm sorry again that this is a lame blog, there's honestly too much to say.

I'm ready for this coming week, which is on Reconciliation. We're also going to a "premiere" of a local human trafficking organization this week. I will definitely include that in my next update. Thanks for keeping up with me! I will write again soon.

Love to you!

PS: My first outreach payment of $1,500 is due this Friday. I'll post my address if you are interested in helping me get to Brazil! I will also post more about our trip... later! :)

YWAM Denver
Candice Lyerla SSJ
12750 W. 63rd Ave
Arvada, CO 80004



No comments: