Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My mother's daughter // now & then

Going with the theme of today's holiday, I want to tell you a bit about my mom and how, without a doubt, I am my mother's daughter.
In more ways than I could say, I am thankful for her. I just read a tweet from Don Miller's The Mentoring Project which says, "Grateful for all the mothers who are raising children in their fatherless homes. They are heroes." It is true.
It seems in so many ways we are so different, yet very much the same. Hence we sometimes bring out the worst in each other. It's more than a physical resemblance; it seems that I have picked up on her personality traits, her passions, and her gifts. Someone gave me what I think is one of the most awesome compliments the other day. She said that if anything happens to her, she wants me to take care of her child. I've been told that people would say that exact thing to my mother years ago. I've often told my friends that I feel more prepared to be a mom than to be a wife! It's been my dream job since I was young. I found a picture of me when I was 2-- I'm sitting on a lawn chair with another baby, who is crying & it looks like I'm trying to comfort him. :) I can hardly wait to give my sweet mother the opportunity to be a Grandmother. She will be the best. I hope to eventually develop her strength of character, her trusting heart, her cooking skills, her loving touch, and her green thumb.
I love this passage of scripture, as most women do. It's more than an example to look up to. I believe it is the call on every woman's life-- to live above reproach, with purpose in every word & action.

Proverbs 31:
Speak up for those who have no voice, for the justice of all. Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the poor and needy... She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will not lack anything good. She works with willing hands. She rises and provides. She is strong. She extends her hands, and her hands reach out to those in need. She is not afraid for her home. She wears fine clothing (had to throw that one in!). Strength and Honor are her clothing & she can laugh at the times to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom and loving instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle. Her children rise up and call her Blessed. Her husband also praises her.
Charm is deceptive & beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised.

That is quite a list to live by. One of the many reasons why I love being a disciple of Christ: we don't have to strive and stress to be who we desire to be. All we have to do is follow and learn and love Him. The rest seems to just fall into place. Not saying that it's easy, but it is very simple. Abide in Him, and He will abide in us, and He'll finish what He started. We stay close to Him, and He will show us the way. Simple. Like a child. We have so much to learn from them.

We sang How He Loves Us this morning, and I thought back through my life so far, and how much I've changed. Then I looked at the people around me and marveled at how they've changed, too. Either we're all insane, cultish people, or Jesus really is that awesome! And during Your Love Never Fails when we proclaim that He makes all things work together for our good, I was once again amazed at the fact that He doesn't just take away the painful experiences I've been through, but He heals me, and then let's me be a part of the healing of others. Oh, this redeeming love!

This is from Don's book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. Explains my thoughts exactly:

"These polar charges, these happy and sad things in life, are like colors God uses to draw the world... somehow we realize that great stories are told in conflict, but we are unwilling to embrace the potential greatness of the story we are actually in. We think God is unjust, rather than a Master Storyteller...
If the point of life is the same as the point of a story, the point of life is character transformation. If the character hasn't changed, the story hasn't happened yet. And if a story is derived from real life, then life itself may be designed to change us, so that we evolve from one kind of person to another...
Essentially, humans are alive for the purpose of journey... he believed we were designed to search for and find something, and he wondered out loud if the point wasn't the search but the transformation the search creates."

What is your now and then? It's pretty crazy how far I've come in just a few years. Fast-learner, you might say. But I think it has to do more with the depth of desperation I've had for Him, even as a child, though I wouldn't have been able to process it that way at the time. Yet another reason why I love loving Him-- the diversity and creativity of His heart. He can be so many different things for so many different people. For me, He seems to have taken the spot of everything. I wanted to share that tonight in Small Group, who He is to me, but I wouldn't have been able to. The words don't come. It's more like a wave of thankfulness and gratitude that expresses itself through a pool of tears. Nothing, nothing, nothing compares to Him.

Hmph, I seemed to have word-vomited tonight. I have so much in this head and heart of mine. I leave you with tired eyes & these beautiful words...


Who is this King of Glory, that pursues me with His love?
Who is this King of Angels, revealing things of heaven and all it's mysteries?
Who is this King of Glory?
His name is Jesus, precious Jesus.
Lord Almighty, King of my heart, King of glory.
... He's everything to me.


1 comment:

.:audi:. said...

This is my favorite post you've ever posted ever! Yes, I realize that was incorrect grammer! I LOVE IT!