Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'm quite taken with You.

It is a dark and dreary day, a storm is raging, it's the middle of May. I woke up early with anticipation for this Sunday. Walking in, I see the bright, smiling, familiar faces. Though it's still early, I can't help but smile, too. Their joy is infectious; such is the heart of a true servant. And that they are. The lights dim, the band members shuffle, preparing for their King. Here we go, let's go to the Throne, the place where we belong. My heart flutters as I recognize the beginning of each song. Oh, I love to praise Him! My hands go up and down, my voice starting and stopping with each verse. Small words for such a Great God. I suddenly feel so small, yet so significant, as I remember my Savior broken for me. Everything to Him I owe.

I greet more familiar faces, hug a few friendly necks, and prepare my heart for His Word. This mysterious, life-giving Word. There's my pastor, a co-shepherd of this flock, with his tired eyes and big heart. His words sink deep, calling to my memory friends who need this encouragement, and my actions that need to be corrected. "Settle for nothing less than God's best," rings in my ears and burns in my heart. We grip hands at the close, exchanging silent prayers. There's something special about sharing the presence of God and the presence of people. I feel lighter when I leave.

The rain has calmed, but not for long. I have an excited, full-bladdered dog awaiting my return home. We walk to the place where I know delicious dewberries hide. Ah, here comes the rain! I can't help but laugh. I like being stuck in it, as long as it cooperates with my schedule. And my wardrobe. I stand under an old oak tree, remembering the days when I used to try and climb it. I feel safe, like I'm protected under the strong, outstretched arms of a loving Father. In Don Miller's words, "Imagine a Being with a mind as big as God's, with feet like trees, and a voice like rushing wind, telling you that you are His cherished creation." Cherished is the perfect description of how I feel in this moment.

I don't want to go inside just yet. The glory of the rain, the chorus of the frogs, the chill of the breeze, all beckon me to sit and stare. I grab my iPod, searching for a song to help lead me in appreciation, wonder, and worship. "All creatures of our God and King, lift up your voice and with us sing, O Praise Him! Allelujah!" With the crescendo of the music, the falling rain also increases its volume. I almost had a Beth Moore moment, wanting to act as the great conductor of all this beauty. My feet were soaked in water. My heart was soaked in love. Who am I that You are mindful of me, Lord? You who have made all of this that I see, hear, smell, and feel. Who am I that You would take the time to woo my heart and bring me close again? This amazing Love that keeps on, keeps on, and keeps on giving of Himself, pouring Himself out to me... who am I?

There is nothing greater than knowing that He delights in me as His child. He is taken by me, captivated, as His bride. And finds so much joy and pleasure in sitting down with me, sharing silence & the sound of rain, as His beloved friend.
Just another gorgeous day in the life of me, in the hands of God.


When You look at me, it hits me just like a summer breeze.
My heart is Yours.
Oh Darlin' dance with me.
Everything will be alright.

No comments: