Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Blessed are the... huh?


I have had an ideal day. Thank you, Good Lord! I worked, spent time with two fabulous women of God (and one precious boy), then spent time with two of my other favorite people (and one sweet puppy dog). It's been a long, filling day!
Oh dear, this might be one of those entries that is just all over the place. I'm so tired, but when I have this much on my mind & heart, AND drank coffee after 6, you'll have to bear with me!

I re-read the book Passion and Purity the other day and was so challenged. And feel spurred on to greatness! (I'd give you quotes, but I've already given my book away!)
I've almost always been very guarded about my heart, but Jim and Elisabeth Elliot take it to another level. A level that is not only uncommon in this culture, but is practically gone in our generation and lacked in the generation before us. This whole, "Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of your faith," or, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." How are those verses being lived out today? Are they being lived at all?
I guess we have to first think about what we name pure and impure. I had this discussion tonight with some friends. Where's the balance between someone "not having that conviction," and someone who doesn't agree with anything that seems "too worldly," including watching t.v. and listening to secular music? I know there must be a balance, but in my opinion, the church has used that as an excuse to invite a load of sin into their lives. If we're going to be the pure of heart, there's a cost. But there is also a great reward: we enjoy the beauty and presence and anointing and freedom of God's Spirit.
For far too long has the devil influenced God's people, using complacency and distractions and divisiveness to tear us apart and keep us from pursuing the purity and holiness that God doesn't just want us to have, but requires us to have. The Bible does NOT say, "You can be holy if you want to. You know, whenever you feel like it." Nor does it say, "You are made holy by attending church and not breaking the rules." It says, "Be holy, for I AM holy."
But how do we do that? How are we supposed to be in this world, but never take part in its sin and shenanigans? It's a simple answer, but not an easy one. None of us are pure in any sense of the word apart from the blood of Christ. Once your heart has been drawn to Jesus, the Holy Spirit will keep drawing you closer to Him for the rest of your life. But that doesn't leave you and me out of the equation. We must choose to listen, to act & obey, and to seek. I honestly believe that if you are in a daily, moment by moment, passionate pursuit of God, you will become the pure of heart. How? You will be so consumed with Him that nothing else in this world will appeal to you anymore. You'll realize the wasted time in front of the t.v. or on the computer. You'll have these heart-wrenching, breath-taking, world-changing experiences with the Lord that will move you so deeply that even thinking of breaking God's heart in any way will turn your eyes from the things of this world to the things of heaven. You'll start thinking about how to help others more than thinking about what you want.
Eventually, we will lose our sense of self. Not in the way that makes you a robot or unable to still be unique. That's the wonder of the Church as we were meant to be-- everyone's differences and gifts, coming together in love and unity, all portraying a piece of God's heart, His creativity. Jesus himself said that there is no greater love than laying your life down for your friends. He also said to deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Him. Where are we going? To our own deaths. And thankfully, to our resurrections! The new you has something special to give to the world; something that another person will not be able to give. There are people around you who will be more affected by your life than by any sermon, song, or bible verse they hear.
A neat thing I've thought before, and just heard again on Sunday, is that when we're following Jesus, pursuing purity and consumed with His passion, nothing is a sacrifice. Some things might be hard to give up, but think of what He gave for you. When your will is killed, and you bring it to His feet, something magnificent happens.
"All of the sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions, eclipsed by glory. And I realize just how beautiful You are and how great Your affections are for me..."
You come to the knowledge of all that He is and all that He has done, and you wish you had more than just your life to offer Him. It seems like such a small thing in comparison to the events He has sovereignly maneuvered to meet you where you are, right here right now. And compared to the plans that He has been planning since before He breathed the earth into it's existence. He has it all figured out, and He chose you to play a specific role in His-story.
So I exhort you, lovers of this amazing God, in view of His mercy, give. Give yourself. All of you. Give your time; it's not in vain. Give your money; it's just a tool. Give your desires; you'll be given better ones. Give your relationships; you'll also be given better ones. Give your needs; they will be fulfilled. Give your heart & all that's inside of it. When I came to His feet, mine was pretty empty anyway. But I have no words to describe what I've received by grace. I grieve at the thought of wasting my life in any other way besides for His glory and honor. To be thought worthy by the Creator of the world to be used for His work in this world, to be His ambassador, His servant, His friend. He even calls us His bride! C'mon!! What greater thing is there? I dare you to tell me. And that's a double-dog dare.

Words could never say
the way He says my name
He calls me lovely.
No one ever sees
the way He looks at me
He sees me holy.



No comments: