Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Ahem."


Basically, I couldn't think of a smart title, if you are wondering what that means! And my throat is hurting. I guess that's why I'm here tonight. I just made a nice cup of tea, and the thoughts are swirling.
I'm not sure if I want to blog about Forgotten God yet. There is a whole lot I want to share with you about that book. I think I need to save that for another night when I'm a bit more competent.

I'll start by sharing something I have yet to tell you about this season of my life. When I spoke with my dear friend Tasha, I was shocked to hear that even she hadn't heard about this new thing. What I terrible updater I am. A counselor once told me that I was too deep to be practical. That really shows itself to be true when it comes to this blog! So forgive me, and let me attempt to "practically" fill you in on my life:

I am a maid. Mostly for the elderly. After taking an online Spiritual Gifts test (not sure how accurate it is?) I discovered that my highest scoring gift is Mercy. Working with the elderly was an option they listed. So lookie there! I'm in my niche, and trusting that this is how my Lord is providing for my needs for now.
My friend Jenna & I are hoping to have enough free time to enjoy a few games of Bingo with the lovely residents of a local Assisted Living home. They performed an amazing play the other night! I am very excited to hear their stories and share mine with them as well.

Also, I am privileged to be serving with a group called Global Child Rescue. I still have much to learn about the organization specifically, but I do know that these wonderful people God has brought into my life have such a passion to stand together and fight the injustice of human trafficking, especially in our community. We are currently preparing to present a drama for a seminar at a local church where this issue will be addressed & awareness will be spread. Praise God! The more we inform each other, the more effort we can put forth to see this horrible crime lessened. I wish that I could confidently say that we can stop it, but the truth is that our world is steadily getting more and more evil. But that fact, by no means, is an excuse for us to watch it go up in flames around us while we hide in our church services & simply pray that it be stopped. In case you have forgotten... YOU are the church! The living, breathing, active Body of Christ! We CAN make a difference. Let's do it together.

I think that covers my life for the most part. Ha! It's so funny to me because this is not where I expected to be at all. But the neat (and comforting) thing about it is that I am not in control! WOO! It's not up to me. Hallelujah. I don't have to waste money on college classes because I'm not following society's life plan of getting a degree and making a hefty salary. Sorry, world, and all you people who assume to know better than me. I am following the Way of Christ, which is a much better Way than every other way there is. It's narrow, but so fulfilling. It hurts at times, but I am honored to suffer in some way so that I may become more like Jesus. Each day I am blessed with, I get to wake up and say, "What is there for me today, Lord? Who can I meet? Who can I love? Show me Your path!" How spontaneous and fun and challenging and humbling. I'm so grateful.

I admire these quotes & the lives behind them-- that they were people just like me, they heard the call, and they lived lives worthy of that calling:

“And people who do not know the Lord ask why we waste our lives as missionaries. They forget that they too are expending their lives…and when the bubble has burst, they will have nothing of eternal significance to show for the years they have wasted.” -Nate Saint

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.” -Jim Elliot

“I have but one passion-- it is He, it is He alone…” Count Zinzindorf

When James Calvert went out as a missionary to the cannibals of the Fiji Islands, the ship captain tried to turn him back saying, “You will lose your life and the lives of those with you if you go among such savages.” To that, Calvert replied, “We died before we came here.”


Oh man, that last one gives me chills. May I die each and every day so that He may have His way in me. As Oswald said so well, "Is He going to help Himself to us, or are we taken up with our conception of what we are going to be?" I know that though my life looks foolish to many, God uses the foolishness of this world to bring glory to Himself and to shame those who think themselves wise. I do not know what He will do with me, and I don't want to ever profess that I do. I've learned quite a few lessons from being so bold as to claim I know God's plans for me. And I am so thankful for His disciplining grace!

More to come on the subject of His will from Francis Chan. Until next time...


1 comment:

Jami Davis said...

hey girl!! Can I please add your blog link on my blog under blogs I follow? If not that's okay! Just wanted to ask first!