Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Limitlessness...


So this book, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, is awesome. It's challenging, inspiring, and even educational- he's a really smart guy. Like, in a scientific way. I like that because then I feel really smart when I read it :)
I'm not sure I could sum up what I learned from this book. It was a total information overload. That's what underlining is for, right? And since I've already passed my book on to someone, I'll try to recall some of my favorite lessons.

Referring to the title of this entry, I loved his explanation of Jesus' teaching about becoming like little children (you know me, its always about kids!). He says that you can go into a classroom of 1st graders, ask who in the class is an artist, and they all frantically wave their hands. When we're younger, we think we're geniuses. But deeper than that, we have the mindset that there is no limit to what we can do. Becoming like a child is reversing the "growing up" process that we experience. Mark says that we can become "small people with a small god." We must "regain the idea that we have been created by a limitless God to have limitless dreams and imaginations."

Another thing that majorly speaks to me in this season of my life is this passage:

"Lion chasers challenge the status quo. They climb cliffs, move to foreign countries, and build boats in the desert. Lion chasers are often considered crazy, but they are able to do these things because they aren't afraid of uncertainty. They don't need to know what is coming next because they know that God knows. They don't need explanations for every disappointment because they know God has a plan. Lion chasers refuse to settle down because they want to experience every divine twist and turn that God has in store for them."

Uncertainty is one of those things that is like a hidden fear. It births worry and stress- which obviously takes God and the meaning of faith out of the picture. I am definitely entering into a new time in my life where it's ok to say "I have no idea what's next." While planning and preparation play huge roles in life, there is a balance of having that child-like trust, and keeping your eyes on Daddy who will take you where you need to be. But not just where you NEED to be, He'll always let you have fun, too!

I could quote pages and pages of the book for you, but I think you should invest and buy it. You won't be let down!


"The goal of life is not the elimination of fear. The goal is to muster the moral courage to chase lions." -Mark Batterson

No comments: