Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014


"Smells of Good Food"

by Saint Catherine of Siena 





"Truth never frightens.

 I remember once walking out in the winter
to greet my father as he returned from work.

He was a little late that night
and I waited by the street corner near our house.

The cold can enliven thanks, my wool coat
became a sacred robe,
how happy I felt to be alive.

I waited in a world of magic,
smells of good food,
the street lamps, the smoke coming from chimneys,
the candles burning in the windows,
the snow.

Angels feasted, as I did, on existence
and God kept saying

"Have more of what I made."

I saw him coming. We ran into each other's arms
and he lifted me as he so often had -- 
twirled me through the air
his hands beneath my arms.

That is what truth does:

lifts and lets us
fly."




No comments: