Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

th-needs

(the above title doesn't make any sense unless you've seen The Lorax. If you think I'm weird, 1. you're right, and 2. just say it a few times-- it gets funnier)


"... And so I just wanted to tell you that story today, on my birthday, and ask you to really think about what you need, and ask someone for it. If you have no one to ask, ask us."

To quote my dear, sweet, loving boyfriend, I've been a bit needy lately. And apparently it's an underlying relationship rule that you cannot both be needy at the same time because that's plain disastrous. Too bad there are some days we just can't control it. Or entire weekends, in our case.
I am learning how to better communicate my needs, as most people learn in relationship. I have recently discovered that something was instilled in me as a child, either from inside myself or from those I grew up around, that taught me that my needs & feelings weren't a big deal. I should be quiet and be compliant and go with the flow, even if that meant getting hurt in the process. I am healing from seemingly small habits such as this-- habits that have forfeited, in some way or another, who I am and that have muffled the voice within me. I am finding this voice: not a rude, my-way-or-the-highway type, but a deep and genuine tool for which I share my heart and soul honestly in the midst of everyday life.

I think we all struggle in finding this voice. In school we're taught to "stand up for ourselves," but I still think those are poor words to describe what it means to speak from the place of your humanity. A place of truth.
So how do we do this? I don't know. I told you, I'm just now learning! But I do know that sharing yourself comes from a place of love and acceptance. If we have unhealed wounds and unresolved struggles in our lives, we will forever live from places of anger, hurt, and fear, and we will miss out on the beauty of trust, love, and grace.

I read this quote today and definitely think it fits:
"When we tell the truth, even the uncomfortable truth, the truth sets people free."


What uncomfortable truth do you need to tell today-- first to yourself, and then to others?


No comments: