Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

reflections


Today was Minneapolis's National Night Out. Fun times, even funnier people! I love how diverse we all are. A beautiful dark skinned lady in a bright orange dress; a funny keyboard player with a long ponytail and goofy smile; young, hip couples; old, rugged people; cute grandpa eating a hamburger in his khakis and biker helmet. Just wonderful.
One of the city representatives said this night was so important because we all come together, meet our neighbors, and see the humanity in each other. I think that's simply powerful. I took it all in, and only met a few people in the process. Got some great blisters. Enjoying life more & more in this interesting place!


We were at the cabin this past weekend, just the Jones clan (still minus Alli, and plus myself, now included in most Jones family activities). It was super windy and a bit rainy on Saturday. I was bummed because you know me, I need my tan-- hold the skin cancer, please. It was crazy wind though, not sail-able in my opinion. So there we were: reading, sleeping, eating. Blah, but good. We got some swimming in later that afternoon and the sun met us out on the boat. The loons, too. (I'm still a bit frightened by them & their red eyes & hugeness).
But Saturday night... oh man, what a night.
GREAT food
EPIC sunset [I had tears in my eyes]
Beautiful lightening storm
Perfect little fire
Family
Wine
Oreos [double-stuffed]
and in the midst of all of it, God. It continuously amazes me how often I seem to forget to direct my praise and awe to Him. I think He feels it anyway, because He knows He's in everything-- for it was all made in Him and through Him, duh. But you know what I mean? It's like... wow. This is my life. Wait... my life could be the extreme opposite. But it's not. Hmmm. Thank you, God. (???) All the while I'm questioning whether I would still love Him the same if my life was really different and harder and included much more loss.

And Kip & I talked about how we can appreciate this God who creates epic things like bright orange and gold and pink clouds that look like a mountain or a wave, coming at us like we could be washed away in glory, just because He can and He enjoys us enjoying the end of a blessed day. How can we even respond to that? I don't want to be a spoiled child that disregards it or on the other hand, begs for more. I want to be humbly and graciously thankful for that moment, not expecting another, but hoping to stay in that beauty forever.

One of my "strengths" is empathy. Strengths Finder had an interesting explanation of this characteristic:
"It's very likely that you are filled with awe by beauty in the world, in people, and in the cosmos. Whether you gaze upon nature's wonders or marvel at a work of human hands, you are filled with wonder. You can suddenly stop what you are doing to watch a sunset, listen to the rustle of leaves, stand before a work of art, hear a piece of music, look through a telescope, or hold a newborn child. You experience beauty at a level many people cannot imagine. Once the moment has passed, you can still picture the scene or hear the sound in your memory."

I feel. Deeply. And I wonder how what's going on in my heart or my head could be connected to Him. I've heard many say that He is closer than our very breath. It's hard for me to understand. How thankful I am that I can feel the reality of it and rest in that.
My God is here.
What precious Truth.



No comments: