Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

carpe diem


"The unknown doesn't scare them. It beckons them like a long lost love or childhood dream."


Synonyms for adventure :

endangerment
hazard
peril
speculation

Antonyms for adventure :

avoidance
inaction
stillness
plan


[ I thought that was very interesting ... ]


"To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways; we do not know what a day may bring forth. This is generally said with a sigh of sadness; it should rather be an expression of breathless expectation."



What would it be like to wake up everyday with "breathless expectation"?
I'm not quite a morning person, so I'm automatically a bit discouraged by this idea. However, I think it goes a lot deeper than waking up and feeling eccentrically excited and being ready to physically leap out of your bed. Some days I do lie there for a moment and think of how amazing it is that I have more time, another day, and I ask Him what kinds of things we could do and who we might get to meet and where I should go. I pray for expectation like that. Could you imagine how much fuller life would be if we had an expectant, childlike heart?
I remember very few times from my childhood, but I can remember some of the vacations we went on. I was just so excited to go somewhere new and see my cousins and have a whole week to play! I wasn't thinking about gas money or condo expenses or what we were having for dinner... that was all taken care of.
Sometimes I hate how my mind goes crazy about details. I'm currently planning a trip to the great land of Canada, and multiple times I have gotten so overwhelmed and lost in the plans that I've forgotten to be thankful for another trip and another new place. I so easily forget that many lack this luxury of traveling, of best friends, of so many things that I take for granted so often. Humph. I don't like that!
My new goal and focus to set my mind/heart upon is this thing of adventure: of spontaneity, of risk, of trusting that He's got it covered and I just need to enjoy the moment, the day. And be grateful.

I've also been thinking about this nagging feeling that has followed me most of my young life thus far... it's a feeling that makes me second-guess nearly every decision, in fear that I didn't wait for the best. I'm really starting to see past this whole "waiting" thing. I understand we all have seasons of it; I've totally been there. But now I'm beginning to feel and live in a sense of urgency. Like I have no clue how much time on this earth I'll have so I must literally seize every opportunity! I think I included a quote similar to this in my last post: what if in the waiting for "something better" we completely miss out on the greatness of now? I think this encompasses so many areas of life. All of life, really.
Don't over-think and over-analyze everything!!! (Me talking to myself)

I'm ready to be free and truly enjoy life, living deeply and engaged in today, not missing out on seemingly insignificant conversations or encounters.
I so desire to live intentionally, in every aspect.
With the grace of God, and in the forgetting of self, I think this is possible!
I know it's possible.

Jesus, my love, I want to live like You.




No comments: