Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

We're Baaaaaack!

Hi from Denver, Colorado! We are back in the states and it is COLD! I am happy to be here and see everyone, but my heart is still aching. What an amazing 6-ish weeks those were. I can't thank Him enough.

Our last week of outreach was the hardest. We went every day to the orphanage, except for one when we went into the city. The kids had a special service for us-- they had drawn their handprints out on paper and one of the workers wrote some phrases in English, "thank you for using your hands to help us," and some scriptures. So sweet. Some of them stood up and thanked each member of our team for spending time with them and playing with them, and that they were going to miss us. We received cards and hugs and kisses. Then we had a huge dance party! It was amazing. Gosh, I miss them. All of us cried when we said goodbye on Sunday. But let's not talk about that part.

So our debrief week in Denver was crazy. We had individual meetings with staff members to talk about our trip, what we learned, how we feel we grew, etc. And we had a meeting all together, praying for each other and encouraging each other. It was nice. I love YWAM and the people I know because of it, but it sure does stink to leave everyone you've spent half a year with. More of my heart was given and taken to different countries, different states. Deep, genuine friendship is such a blessing. Speaking of friends, if you've seen my pictures on facebook, you will notice that we stayed in a beautiful, expensive hotel for a night thanks to a great friend on our team. It was too good for words... we took so many showers, HOT showers, spent most of our time in the beds or down at the spa. It was glorious. A perfect gift after an amazing outreach, but one still filled with exhaustion. Rest is definitely a luxury at times.

Currently I am in Gunnison, CO, a quaint little mountain town northwest of Denver. It's nice, but extremely cold. We were outside in the hot tub the other night and my hair was frozen. For real. It's cold! I'll be here until... maybe tomorrow or maybe next week. I'm literally living by the day and it's so hard for me! God has been teaching me a lot about trusting Him with little things in life, and letting go of worrying about planning and having everything figured out. I thought I had already grown in this area, but this is really surprising me now. I have an overall idea of what life will look like for the next couple weeks but nothing is certain. There is so much freedom in choosing to not worry about your life. I think it's a balance between being responsible with what you're given and at the same time holding that so loosely that if major change comes, you're not devastated or disappointed. I have much to share about what most of our team was challenged with as a whole-- it's a bit of a theological mind-blow, but it's been an amazing subject to wrestle through with Him. I will continue to wrestle with it for my whole life, I am sure. It's about free will versus God's will. Does God give you a specific calling and plan, or is it more like Him putting gifts and unique things inside of you & letting you live out your life, making decisions and doing things while staying in close friendship with Him. We listened to a sermon by Bill Johnson on a rainy afternoon one day; it was on friendship with God, going beyond obedience. I'll have to look at my notes and let you know about it later, when I am settled somewhere and actually have time to focus and process things. (Is that an unrealistic expectation? I feel like it might be!)

All in all, I am back in the USA, not totally happy with that, but ready and excited to be with people I love in Alabama and the other places I'll be stopping by on my way home. Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement throughout our trip. Honestly, it was the time of my life, and I am blessed beyond measure.


Happy Almost Valentine's Day! Talk to you/ see you soon!

1 comment:

TashaNicole said...

oh friend, now more than ever do i want to hear how you are doing and what God has done in the past months. i have been struggling so intensely with the same tension between that theology. come to ohio so we can sit outside in this spring weather and talk about Jesus and the desires of our hearts. love you.