Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Master vs. Me


Where is the separation
between where I end and where You begin?
Is there any separation at all?
Is it possible...
that parts of me could bring You glory, could please Your heart?
Is it possible that You've always had me in mind
that You delighted in me
before I even chose to love You?

Did you form the part of me
that laughs at funny voices and corny jokes?
What about the part that weeps at harsh words
and is broken for the broken-hearted?
Yeah, that had to be You.

How about the button nose, the curly hair,
the brown eyes?
Was all of this in your mind, God?
Where did the love for Fall-colored leaves
and bright Spring flowers come from?
And the joy of playing with children
and having long conversations with friends...
are all of these from Your heart?

Was it You that put all of this together
and called my name?
Was it You, Jesus?

Because if it was...
this changes everything.
Because if it was...
this means that it's possible.

I can love You.
I can delight in You.
And You can truly delight in Me.

Oh, my God.
I am forever Yours.
Hide me in You
and shine through me.
Because where You begin
is where I begin, too.


I want to thank my dear friend Tasha, who so encouraged me with the simple fact that our God is pleased with how He created us. Even though we stray and entangle ourselves with things that don't matter, He sees our bareness, our potential-- our original design. This is the hope I have, and the reason I treasure people and long for them to know Him: what He can do with us is so much more than anything we could do for ourselves. What He says about us is more meaningful than what anyone else could say to us. And the person He is recreating us to be is more beautiful than who we are striving to be.
I am confident of this:
that I can do nothing outside of Him. But through Him, and in Him, anything is possible.
Despite my inadequacy, my insecurity, my fear... He is God. May I surrender to that truth every single day, humbly following Him, trusting in Him at all times.

No comments: