Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Meanwhile & a Parable

Oh, how I extremely and enthusiastically like books! (I'm trying to not say that I "love" every single thing. It's hard!)
I randomly chose a book from my quaint and growing bookshelves to read in the sunshine and I discovered In the Grip of Grace, by Max Lucado. The first chapter already had me mesmerized and I knew this would be a blog-worthy read! But before I go into that, let me share with you the beautiful Word of God from the Message Bible. I go through phases of what versions I like to read best. I'm definitely liking this one right now. Check it out:

"God's Spirit beckons-- there are things to do and places to go! This resurrection life you received from God isn't a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a child-like, "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who He is, and we know who we are: Father and children...
Meanwhile, the joyful anticipation deepens. All around us we observe a pregnant creation. The difficult times of pain throughout the world are simply birth pangs. But it's not only around us, its within us. The Spirit of God is arousing us within. We're also feeling the birth pangs. These sterile and barren bodies of ours are yearning for full deliverance. That is why waiting does not diminish us, any more than it diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don't see what is enlarging us. But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy.
The moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along... He knows us far better than we know ourselves. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good... the Son stands first in the line of humanity He restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in Him... If God didn't hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing Himself to the worst by sending His own Son, is there anything else He wouldn't gladly and freely do for us?" -- from Romans 8

And now, for a parable by Max Lucado:

Once there were 5 brothers who lived in a castle with their father. The eldest was an obedient son, but his younger brothers were very rebellious. Their father had warned them about the dangers of the river, but they did not listen. One day, one of the brothers dared to feel the waters and told the other three, "Hold my hand, so I won't fall in." But the current was too strong, and the river pulled the brothers in. They were powerless against the strength of the current. The waters finally dumped them on the bank of a strange land. Though they did not know where they were, they knew they were not intended for this place.
With the passage of time, the brothers learned how to live in the land. They would sit by the fire and talk of their homeland, determined to return someday. Then, one night, one of the brothers was missing. The three found him in the valley with the savages, building himself a hut. He told them, "What good does it do to remember? Besides, this land isn't so bad. I will build a great house and settle here."
"What about father?"
"What of him? If he comes, he comes. But I'm not holding my breath."
So they left him there, and continued to meet around the fire and talk about their home, dreaming of their return.
Some days later, a second brother was missing. They found him on the hillside staring at the hut of his brother. "How disgusting," he told them. "Our brother is an utter failure. An insult to our name. Can you imagine a more despicable deed-- building a hut and forgetting our father?"
"What he is doing is wrong," said the youngest. "But what we did is wrong as well. We disobeyed. We ignored our father's warnings. Come, return to the fire with us."
"No, I'll keep an eye on our brother. Someone needs to stay here and keep a record of his wrongs for our father."
And so the two returned, leaving one brother building and the other judging. Then one morning, the youngest son was the only one at the fire. He searched for his brother and found him stacking rocks.
"It's no use," he said. "Father won't come for me. I have offended him. I have to build a path back up the river to him. When he sees my hard work, he will forgive me and let me into his house."
The last brother didn't know what to say. He returned to the fire alone. But one morning, he heard a familiar voice behind him.
"Father has sent me to bring you home." It was the eldest Son. "Where are your brothers?"
"One has made a home here, another is watching him, and the third is building a path in the river." And so the Firstborn set out to find his siblings. He went first to the thatched hut in the valley. "Go away! You are not welcome here!" screamed his brother.
"I have come to bring you home."
"You have not. You have come to take my mansion! You cannot have it!"
"This is no mansion, this is a hut. Do you not remember the house of your father? You were born in a castle where the air is warm and the fruit is plentiful. I have come to take you home."
The savages appeared in the window, urging the brother to send this man away. They had the brother's trust, so he sent Him away. Firstborn sought the next brother. He didn't have to travel very far-- on the hillside near the hut sat the fault-finding son. When he saw the Firstborn appear, he said, "How good You are here to see the sins of our brother! I have kept an account of his evil deeds. Punish him! He deserves it!"
"We need to deal with your sins first."
"My sins are nothing! There is the sinner! Come, we'll peek in the windows. Let's go together!" He was at the hut before he realized the Firstborn had not followed him.
Next, the eldest son walked to the river. "Father has sent me to take you home."
"I can't talk now, I must work. I have to build a pathway up the river. I will show father I am worthy, then I will ask for his mercy."
The Firstborn replied, "He has already given his mercy. You will never be able to build a way, the task is too great for your hands. Father has sent me to carry you home. I am stronger."
For the first time, his brother looked up. "How dare you speak with such irreverence! My father will not simply forgive; I have greatly sinned. I need much work!" This younger brother looked at Him with anger. "You are the voice of evil. You are trying to seduce me from my holy work. Get behind me, you serpent!" And he hurled a rock at Him. So the Firstborn turned and left. The youngest brother was waiting for him. "The others didn't come?"
"No. One chose to indulge, the other to judge, and the third to work. None of them chose our father."
"Are we returning to Father?" the youngest asked.
"Yes."
"Will he forgive me?"
"Would he have sent me if he wouldn't?"
And so the younger brother climbed on the back of the Firstborn and began the journey Home.

I'm hoping you caught on to the symbolism here. It is such an accurate picture of how we react to the grace of God. Some of us treat it like dirt, choose to satisfy our own passions, and fulfill the verse that says, "God left them and let them go their sinful way." Romans 1:24. Or we are the judgmental ones who point our fingers at every person who is "worse" than us. Then there are the legalistic ones who feel like since they are so bad, they must do so much good to earn God's love. According to Romans 4:5, "People cannot do any work that will make them right with God." And lastly, there are the grace-driven Christians. Those who offer God a thankful heart for His salvation, knowing that because of His Son & not their own efforts, they have been made righteous. "Those who are right with God will live by trusting Him." Romans 1:17
So, all of that to say, you need to read this book. Max is so knowledgeable about the grace that he has abundantly received. I am ready to keep reading and learning so that I may truly become an acceptor and not a striver. I still find myself feeling like I need to do this or that to make God happy with me. I know that will be a lifelong struggle, since that is the basis of most relationships in our world-- What can you do for me? And, I will love you only if you love me in return. May He take all of us who believe deeper into the knowledge of His unending, unconditional, unmerited favor & love. It's too much for us to grasp, but with the assurance of His promises in His Word, we can get a pretty good idea! And we can know that we know that we know, that He loves us!
This book goes deeper into those profiles, and talks about God's righteous anger at sin. I will post more about that soon! My eyes are hurting, and I am ready for dinner :) So until next time:
1. Find this book!
2. Be thankful.
3. Kill someone with kindness. (I don't like the word kill, until I thought more about it and realized that you can kill the sin inside someone by caring about them so much & thus bringing them to Jesus!)
aaannnnddd 4. Take time to pray. If you will, pray for my friends-- the Grady's, Gage, and everyone around the world who needs a miracle & the saving, transforming power of Christ!

1 comment:

.:audi:. said...

I think you're amazing and you kill everyone I know! (with kindness haha)