Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

write upon my heart.


Revelation time!

Don't you love those moments? I must say that there are few feelings more exciting to me than that tingle in my brain, flutter in my stomach, and joy in my spirit when I understand a new thing about God! Ok, maybe "understand" is not the right word... more like, an opening of the eyes. Seeing something completely new out of something I've always heard.
So today I was finishing up Luke, following the Newthru30 plan, and I can't remember what started stirring a thought in me. It was something about Abraham, I think. Anyway, I know that feeling well by now! I grabbed a pen and wrote whatever was coming to me, trying to figure out exactly what I was starting to see more clearly. It was about God's Redemption Plan. Possibly for the first time in my life, I realized the magnitude and sovereignty and perfection in God's plan. Or was at least taken a step further into it- I'm sure there is so much more! This is what came to me...

God's purpose in creating man was for Himself-- His pleasure and His fellowship. (I have read that there is nothing more selfless that a perfect Being can do than share Himself with imperfect ones). ALL people were chosen for this fellowship-- the Lord did not pick and choose from the nations, for there were no nations. Just man. Just God. Once sin entered into this world, we were broken apart, no longer to be in beautiful harmony with our Maker. Because of this, the glory of the Lord no longer rested upon man. But our God was not finished. From the faith of one man, Abraham, He made a nation set apart for Himself. They would be His people and He was their God, proclaiming His greatness to all. To make this fellowship possible, the people had to wash, cleanse, sacrifice, and obey laws to allow the presence of God to be among them. Note: His Spirit would come upon people, but it did not yet indwell them. These things were but preparation for the coming Messiah, the Savior of creation. The Redeemer of man. The Bible says that just as sin entered the world through one man, salvation would also come by one man. Jesus' blood, the final sacrifice, has finally made it possible for all men, once again, to be joined together with their Father! We have been recreated, redeemed, returned, if you will, to a picture of our original design: to be in fellowship with, and to reflect the holiness of God. Only because of Jesus and by the power of His Spirit can we experience this reconciliation. We are all His people, neither man nor woman, slave nor free, Jew nor Gentile. We are His & He, again, is ours!

Does that just blow you away or what?!? He has bought us back, and will bring our faith and our fellowship to completion when we leave this world and are "swallowed up by Life." (2 Cor. 5)

Newthru30 also brought me to Ephesians, one of my favorites, & all of this is explained in the first couple chapters. Oh, it's too wonderful for words. Poor me! I strive to express these things that really are too wonderful for me. I know King David felt my pain-- I think he said exactly that in one of the Psalms.

It breaks my heart when baby Christians get so frustrated in their growth process. If I could preach only one message with my life, only testify to one Truth of God, it would be that there is SO MUCH MORE. He blesses those who hunger and thirst for Him, never giving up because nothing else in this world will satisfy. If only humanity would be awakened to that one thing... this isn't it. This stuff... it's not as great as we think. It's definitely not worth us wasting our days trying to accumulate while this world and its beautiful, lost, starving people fade away.
To contradict MJ's tour title. THIS ISN'T IT! Please remember that, and live your life in that conviction. God is everything. And if you knock, He'll open to you.

Sheesh, I get carried away! I wanted to tell you about one more thing: this great new book, found by me at the $5 Christian Bookstore! Hoo ha. It's callled, "New Monasticism," by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove. I'm not finished yet, but soon to be. This guy is a friend of Shane Claiborne's, author of the Irresistible Revolution, a book that I have quoted on here many times.

So this book is about monasticism, obviously, which should take your thoughts to a picture of a monk. A monastic life is like a counter-culture. It's all about community and returning to the raw values and principles of the Gospels. More specifically, the Sermon on the Mount. Now hear me out-- this may sound like a freak show to you, but it's not. It is, however, getting back to the basics, as I would like to say. All through history God has called people out of the "normal life" to challenge a straying Church and guiding it back to its true purpose and identity. Jonathan agrees that no, we are not ALL supposed to live together. That would be insane. But we are meant to love each other, grow together, help those in need, share so that everyone will be lacking in nothing. It's safe to say that the American church has mostly become a building where we gather for once, maybe twice a week services. Nearly everyone in the room has more than they need, yet the community around them is desperate. Call me crazy, but I think we should take Jesus seriously when He said it's difficult for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God. And it's time for us to do something about it. I know it's not easy, but with God, anything is possible. I believe that one of the greatest demonstrations of God's heart is generosity. To those whom much is given, much is required. Think about that one... I definitely am. And seeking how I can best bless this place.

Let us see, Lord. Let us see what really matters & how much our lives lived in surrender and pursuit of You can change our world. Decrease us until there's only You. Help us to learn to live from Your plenty, and not our own pleasures. I want to send a message that contradicts the heartbeat of this world. Oh Lord, give me grace.


"Now, all the glory to God, who is able through His mighty power at work within us to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." Ephesians 3:20


No comments: