Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

We are needed.

www.charitywater.org/projects/fromthefield/bangladesh.ph

Go to this website and watch the video.
How do you feel? Does this surprise you? Does it bore you?
Living here in the US poses a problem for us. It seems like we are bombarded with so many stories, so much information about a hurting world, that eventually we get so used to it and just ignore it. Or maybe we will watch it, but we won't let the message break our hearts. Why? Is it our selfishness? Our helplessness? Or maybe its our fear... we don't want to be so deeply ruined and affected by that problem because God might just ask us to do something about it.

A friend shared her opinion with me not too long ago. She questioned why so many Americans will spend all their money traveling around and helping those in other countries, when so many here are in need. I calmly agreed with her. But I must ask... have you ever seen the need in other places? Have you walked the muddied streets that stink with sewer and trash? Now let me ask you this: have you ever seen that in America? Yes, people are homeless. Yes, some people live in horrible conditions, but not to this extent.

I have decided to do something tangible to help. I pray often for hurting people around the world. I even weep for them. But listen to this passage: James 2:14-17, "Dear friends, do you think you'll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, "Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!" and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?"

We must do more. Jesus said that the poor will always be among us, but that is no excuse to not help them. I like how Shane Claiborne interpreted those words-- Jesus was revealing the church's true identity; to be close with the hurting and the hopeless. It is our mission, it is the love of Christ, to act on His words. "Go and proclaim the Good News to everyone." Sometimes that doesn't mean preaching or teaching. Sometimes it means meeting a practical need. Like clean water.

I am asking for you help. Will you join me in raising $5,000 this Christmas to build ONE well for people in need of clean drinking water? All you have to do is go to www.mycharitywater.org/candicemae. Click on "Donate to my campaign" and enter your credit card info. Choose the amount you want to give- it can be anything! I challenged my friends and family to give however much they would normally spend on my presents. So however you feel led, whether that's $10 or $150, please give. My campaign ends in February, and I fully believe that we can raise the entire $5,000, if not more!

You'll see more about this in the coming weeks. I'll post pictures and stories from people that have been changed by this project.

Thank you for your help. I pray that God would speak to you clearly and personally about how you can change this world, your world. Be blessed!


"It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone."
Ephesians 1:11-12


No comments: