Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We are Hosea's Wife

I'm reading this morning in the book of Hosea, and I am so broken. Who is this God that so many claim to know and follow and love? Sometimes I read these words and wonder... why have we strayed so far from the truth? Why do we overlook the cries of his heart? And why, why is it so hard for us to come back to him?
This is from chapter 11-
When Israel was a child I loved him as a son and brought him out of Egypt. But the more I called to him, the more he rebelled, sacrificing to Baal and burning incense to idols. I trained him from infancy, I taught him to walk, I held him in my arms. But he doesn't know or even care that it was I who raised him.
As a man would lead his favorite ox, so I led Israel with my ropes of love. I loosened his muzzle so he could eat. I myself have stooped down and fed him. But my people shall return to Egypt and Assyria because they won't return to me... Oh how can I give you up, my Ephraim? How can I let you go? How can I forsake you? My heart cries out within me; how I long to help you! No, I will not punish you as much as my fierce anger tells me to. This is the last time I will destroy Ephraim. For I am God and not man; I am the Holy One living among you, and I did not come to destroy.
For the people shall walk after the Lord. I shall roar as a lion (against their enemies) and my people shall return trembling from the west... And I will bring them home again; it is a promise from the Lord."


He did not come to destroy, but to heal and care for. We are the wayward children who bring it upon ourselves. I wish that I could see my sin as God sees it; that I would be so angry that I would want to kill and destroy that which leads me into its trap. If only we had the heart to feel His pain. If only we had the eyes to see the seductiveness of our own destruction.

If only we had the time to learn his love...

No comments: