Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

donuts

I have developed this pre-work morning routine.
It usually includes getting off the bus and heading straight to my new favorite coffee shop- People's Organic- then taking the skyway over to my building.

Remember skyway Jesus from a couple months ago?
I haven't seen him since that post. I honestly started to believe he was an angel that showed up in Macy's just for me.

And then today, I heard him singing with that familiar gospel sound, and my heart lightened from its load. I will now refer to him as Arthur, since that is his actual name. Arthur gave me a huge hug, recognizing me immediately. I told him I had missed him. He had not been feeling well, he told me, but he was good now. He was so anxious to come back to the city and do the Lord's work - spreading his joy, making people smile.
I told Arthur I was on my way to get coffee, and I asked if he liked coffee. He said no, he's hyper enough as it is. So we agreed upon OJ and a donut, if I could find them where I was going. I was thrilled to find another soul who seemed to care for sugary breakfast items as much as myself. And even more thrilled that I could serve him as he served everyone walking through Macy's, beginning their work day.

So away I went, and back I came, supplies in hand. I told him he was doing such good work here.
As I walked away, he yelled my name and told me he loved me.

There in that hallway, stretching over and above the road, a path to get from where I am to where I'm going, I was filled.
I looked at others differently. I smiled at strangers with new enthusiasm. I felt loved in a new way - loved by a brother, loved by our Father. I felt unified with people on a deeper level. I felt courage that no matter what, no matter who, I could connect and feel it in my bones - feel this connection and unity with all. Feel the greater purpose found in all - the truth that He's everywhere, and we're a grand story.

A friend like Arthur is not merely a compilation of words in my story - he is a sweet, sweet song; the break in the middle of a storm or a conflict or a commotion of feelings.
He is the bridge that reminds me to breathe, to see, to know... that all is well and all will be well.

Just smile,
tell people you love them,
and don't let anyone or anything steal your joy today.


"Yes the Lord... the Lord... he's been good to us..." 


No comments: