Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

A Wine Miracle?

Can I be very honest here? I've always thought Jesus' first miracle was sketchy. That's probably my southern roots showing themselves-- we're not so big on the "wine" thing down here. And there's always that ignorant argument about how its ok for us to always be drunk because Jesus was. Seriously, people?
So I'm still reading this book about John, and Beth Moore dives straight into this one because John is the only author who tells this particular story. She makes me laugh when she writes, "I say it's time to take the whole idea of partying back." I agree! But back to the wine issue. There are some incredible symbolic meanings to this miracle. I don't believe at all that Jesus was into people getting trashed. Who knows, maybe the "wine" back then wasn't wine at all, but more like our grape juice. Anyway, that's not the issue here. Let's talk about deeper matters.

God ordained that Christ's first miracle would be filling empty jars.
Beth writes on how God's people were at the time Christ came into our world-- religious, legalistic, empty. We were never meant to be empty! As God's children, we are meant to be full. "An unsatisfied soul is an accident waiting to happen." I've had a glimpse of that in my own life and I am so very thankful that He came to fill us! Through Him, we live abundantly.

Next thing: Jesus made it into NEW wine. Ephesians 5:18 wonderfully describes what newness we are able to experience, and that is the Holy Spirit. This verse implies that the filling of the Holy Spirit does in full measure what we try to accomplish when we desire to be drunk with wine. Woah. I love this quote, "Jesus came to bring the new wine of the Spirit! Something we can drink our fill of without all the negative side effects of wine and the emptiness it leaves behind in the wake of a temporary fix." AMEN!

Have you experienced how amazing the Holy Spirit really is? He's so much more than just your Teacher, or just your Comforter, or just your closest Friend-- He's a party!! I personally have felt His joy many times, which has resulted in uncontrollable laughter and occasional snorting. It's a blast!

Ok, I'll end with this:
"Just think! No matter how much you drink of His Spirit, against such there is no law. Further, the more you drink, the more fully satisfied you are with love, joy, peace, and all sorts of side effects we're so desperate to achieve. To top off the goblet, instead of losing self-control, we gain it! You can't beat a drink like that... how tragic for us to continue with pangs of emptiness. Stop feeling guilty because you crave lots of joy in your life. You were made for joy! You are a jar of clay just waiting to be filled (2 Cor. 4:7)"

I adore her and the way she explains things. Why do we keep searching for happiness in so many ways through so many things? It has already been made available to us! God's Spirit is purposed for so much more than what we allow Him to do or be in us. What if you and I started living in His goodness and not in the pursuit of temporary fixes? Can we do that? Are we as feeble and weak humans able to seek the greatness of God and actually experience His fullness here and now? Or is it just in heaven?

I believe that many of our desires will not be fulfilled until heaven, but not all. No, friends, there is an incredible life waiting for us. I have faith that we will one of these days forsake all things that hold us back from Him. The fullness of Him. I'm tired of just getting "little moments" with God. I want it all! But I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up things like movies, food, relationships... things that easily fill me for a short time. I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop everything that I'm trying to handle and control in my own strength. Are you?

Will I be like John the beloved disciple who forsook ambition for affection? Or like Augustine who wrote, "How sweet all at once it was for me to be rid of those fruitless joys which I had once feared to lose. You drove them from me, You who are the true, the sovereign Joy. You drove them from me and took their place, You who are sweeter than all pleasure."

I hope I will be. I hope I will not only receive, but abundantly receive from Jesus everything that I need or desire.

"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."
-Beth Moore

No comments: